A care provider has been prosecuted after a 60 year old man suffered severe scalding and later died after being lowered into a bath of hot water.

 In Premier Risk News

A care provider has been prosecuted after a 60 year old man suffered severe scalding and later died

after being lowered into a bath of hot water. The man suffered from both cerebral palsy and

epilepsy and had limited movement and was being assisted into a bath in his own home by a care

worker. When he was lowered into the bath he suffered a prolonged epileptic fit and as the care

worker tried to assist his feet and lower legs remained in the water causing extensive scalding. The

HSE found that the care workers working for the company did not receive training or instruction in

relation to bath and shower temperature and the company was not aware of guidance in relation to

safe bathing. It did not provide thermometers to staff and they did not carry out adequate risk

assessments in relation to the bathing of service users. The company pleaded guilty to breaching

section 3(1) Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £75,000.

Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.